For Poisoning Questions or Emergencies, Call the Poison Experts at 1-800-222-1222
1. The average surface area found in a single gram of activated charcoal in square meters, is 10, 100, or 1000?
Answer: 1000 meters squared
2. It isn’t really poison, but is a perfume by that name. Who manufactures this fragrant product?
Answer: Christian Dior
3. What is considered to be the most toxic natural substance known to man? It was also recently approved for use in smoothing wrinkles on the face?
Answer: Botox (Botulinus toxin LD50 is 500 nanograms)
4. What common spice substance is usually forbidden in prisons, as it can be used as a weapon when thrown in the eyes?
Answer: Black pepper
5. Is there an antidote for acetaminophen overdose, and if so, what is it?
Answer: Yes, NAC, Mucomyst, or N-acetylcysteine are all acceptable
6. What is the antidote if ethylene glycol or methanol in the form of antifreeze or windshield washer fluid is ingested?
Answer: Ethanol (same as what is in drinking alcohol) or Antizol (fomepizole)
7. Vomiting induced with Syrup of Ipecac, within 1/2 hour of ingestion, will remove approximately what percentage of the ingested material?
Answer: 30-40% (any answer within this range is correct)
8. According to 1998 statistics, which method of execution was cheaper to administer, lethal injection or lethal gas?
Answer: Lethal injection ($346 vs. $371)
9. In the US, during execution by lethal injection, how many toxic chemicals enter the bloodstream of the condemned?
Answer: Three (Sodium Thiopental, Pancuronium Bromide, Potassium Chloride)
10. What is the chemical used in “non-toxic” antifreeze?
Answer: Propylene Glycol
11. How many types of botulinus toxins are there?
Answer: 7 (they are identified with the letters A – G) The antidote is a trivalent antitoxin for types A,B, & E