Acids and Alkalines
1. Ingesting acorns is considered to be a toxic event. What is the substance responsible for their toxicity?
2. You are doing spring cleaning and want to get the house very clean. You mix bleach with a acid based cleaner to help you do this. As soon as you combine them, a gas is released that causes you to cough and have trouble breathing. What is the name of this chemical warfare agent you’ve just created?
3. You are applying Bluing to an old gun to restore its finish. You have it in a glass and accidentally take a drink thinking it was your beverage. What is the name of the unique acid responsible for the toxicity you are about to experience?
4. Vinegar is a dilute solution (4-6%) of a corrosive. It this corrosive acid or alkaline & what is its name?
5. Drain openers are commonly used corrosives as their primary ingredient. Is the corrosive utilized an acid or a alkaline?
6. Dry cell flashlight batteries sometimes leak and can cause burns. Is the caustic substance an acid or an alkaline?
7. You spill a large amount of Whink Rust Remover on your clothes and it seeps through them. You continue working through the day since it never caused you discomfort. Six hours later you have intense burning sensation in the affected areas. In addition to the delayed burns you are having, what other medical problem can occur from this exposure?
8. Car batteries have, on occasion, exploded due to ignition of hydrogen that is produced in the presence of oxygen. Patients have been burned by the corrosive contents of these batteries during such explosions. What is the name of the caustic agent responsible for these injuries?
9. Three primary characteristics of a corrosive substance determine the extent of injuries one may expected after an exposure to that substance. Name two of them.
10. A household substance that is used in cooking and to absorb odors. It is also used in medicine. What is this substance and is it an acid or alkaline?
Poison Help 1-800-222-1222 (Voice/TTY)
24 hours a day • 7 days a week • free of charge